March 30, 2022
Dear MICA Faculty, Staff, Students, and Trustees,
Thank you to everyone who has participated to date in the relaunch of MICA’s strategic planning process! I am pleased to provide this update on our community’s input to date and to share the strategic planning timeline between now and October 2022.
Planning Objectives Prioritization Web Survey Report
The Survey for Planning Objectives Prioritization sent out in February to you, along with alumni and parents, received 148 responses from February 18 through March 7. A summary of the survey outcomes is now posted on the Documents and Resources section of the strategic planning website and can be viewed directly here.
That input was instrumental in shaping the conversations that took place during the March 9 Pan-College Convening on Strategic Planning.
March 9 Pan-College Convening Discussion Summary
Around 110 students, faculty, staff, and trustees attended the March 9 Pan-College Convening on Strategic Planning, and participated in two rounds of small-group discussions based on five top planning priorities identified through the survey above.
A synthesis of the notes from those conversations’ outcomes is now posted on the strategic planning website’s Documents and Resources section and can be viewed directly here, along with the Pan-College Convening opening presentation. A post-event survey was posted online to receive additional input through March 15; a few responses were submitted and are reflected in the posted synthesis.
Strategic Planning Timeline & Next Steps
For those who could not attend the March 9 convening, there are ample opportunities to participate in the planning process over the next few months. This updated timeline details the sequence of activities and objectives that will lead us toward finalizing and implementing the 2022-2027 Strategic Plan.
Below is a brief overview of the next steps for strategic planning.
- April: Campus discussions and development of priority plan activities by constituency groups at existing meeting venues in coordination with constituency group leadership; formation of a multi-constituency Summer/Early Fall 2022 Plan Drafting Workgroup
- June - August: Plan Drafting Workgroup writing of plan draft
- September: Campus community’s final review of plan draft
- September/early October: Refinement of plan draft based on community input
- October 21: Board of Trustees’ review and adoption of 2022-2027 Strategic Plan
April 4 Call for Applications to Form the Multi-Constituency Summer/Early Fall 2022 Plan Drafting Workgroup
Please watch for an open call campus memo on Monday, April 4, that announces the details and process for interested campus members to apply to join as a member of the multi-constituency Summer/Early Fall 2022 Plan Drafting Workgroup.
Multi-Constituency Planning Process Advisory Group
The strategic planning process between now and October, including the formation of the Summer/Early Fall 2022 Plan Drafting Workgroup, will be guided by a multi-constituency Planning Process Advisory Group consisting of the following members:
- Cole Bryant, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Erika Carruth, Administrative Manager, Undergraduate Studies
- Madison Coan, Assistant Director, Undergraduate Admissions; Co-Chair, Staff Empowerment Council
- Firmin Debrabander, Undergraduate Faculty Representative; Faculty Executive Committee member
- Ashling Han, Graduate Student Representative
- Juliana Harris, Board of Trustees Representative
- Samuel Hoi, President
- Tiffany Holmes, Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Don Jones, Vice President for Advancement
- Christian Lallo, Vice President for Communications
- Sukyun Lee, Graduate Faculty Representative
- Martin Lemelle, Vice President for Finance & Business Services
In addition, joining me in project managing the planning process are:
- Jean Free, Executive Assistant to the President
- Kevin Griffin Moreno, Director of Strategic Projects
Your continued participation in the strategic planning work is most critical. Please watch for future updates about the planning process, as well as concrete ways for you to contribute your ideas and feedback. Feel free to send questions, comments, and suggestions to email@example.com.
Thank you for being a part of this important process!
Office of the President
Maryland Institute College of Art
1300 West Mt. Royal Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21217