Date: October 10, 2022
From: Samuel Hoi, President;
To: MICA Faculty, Staff, Students, and Trustees
Subject: Provost Search Launch – Search Committee, Search Firm, Timeline, Next Steps
Dear Faculty, Staff, Students, and Trustees,
MICA’s Provost search process is about to launch!
I am very pleased to announce the formation of a great Search Committee. Its membership of 12 embodies the diverse constituencies and perspectives on campus, and features a majority of academic members.
- Megan Barker, Student Voice Association Director of Academic Affairs, Animation Junior
- Erika Carruth, Director of Administrative Services, Undergraduate Studies
- Bill Gaskins, Director of MFA Photography + Media & Society & FT Faculty
- Samuel Hoi, President – Search Committee Chair
- Ryan Hoover, FT Faculty, Interdisciplinary Sculpture
- Alexa Kim, Vice President for Operations & Technology
- Jeanette Gerrity-Gómez, Faculty Executive Committee Chair & FT Liberal Arts Faculty
- Martin Lemelle, Vice President for Finance & Business Services
- Mike Patterson, Vice President for Student Affairs
- Linnea Poole, PT Faculty, First Year Experience and MFA Community Arts (also MFACA ’18 alum)
- Jonathan Thomas, Chair of BFA Printmaking & FT Faculty
- Dolores Zinny, Director of MFA Rinehart School of Sculpture & FT Faculty
The search firm Isaacson Miller (IM) will work with us on this search. IM has conducted many prominent academic leadership searches at our peer institutions. Our IM search leads are Ben Tobin and Hannah Moore. In addition, Charlene Moore Hayes is working with me on MICA’s side.
The general timeframe for the search is as follows: This fall through winter will involve search work in the field by the search firm. If all goes as planned, the Search Committee will select semi-finalists and conduct confidential interviews in early spring next year. The goal is to bring a small group of finalists for campus interviews in mid-spring. Once campus feedback is collected and considered by the Search Committee, I hope to make an appointment before the summer. This conceptual timeline may be adjusted as the search unfolds.
There are two immediate next steps. On Friday, October 14, our IM search leads Ben and Hannah will visit MICA and conduct a series of listening sessions; the invitation to an open faculty session and an open staff session will be coming from People, Belonging & Culture. The IM team also plans to conduct a short survey following their campus visit to capture input from those who miss their visit. Then, Ben and Hannah will craft, with assistance of the Search Committee, the job specification for MICA’s Provost position and use it for their search work. The finalized job specification will be posted on the MICA website and shared with the campus community in early November.
While much of the Search Committee’s work will be confidential, we will keep the campus community informed of key developments about the search. For the finalist interviews on campus next spring, the Search Committee will design the process to ensure meaningful participation of the campus community.
Office of the President
Maryland Institute College of Art
1300 West Mt. Royal Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21217