Internships for International Students

Many international students conduct internships during their time at MICA, both in the United States and in their home countries.

F-1 regulations regarding off-campus employment are very specific. Contact Office of International Education and Career Development before beginning any internships or employment to ensure you stay in compliance with your visa.  Do not begin an internship until you receive proper authorization.

How to Register Internships in the United States

  1. Talk to the Office of International Education to confirm your eligibility
  2. Complete the online Internship Orientation
  3. Submit Learning Agreement through
  4.  Wait for CPT approval and your new I-20 from International Education
  5.  Apply your internship credits to the same semester you plan to intern
  6. Begin your internship!

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is the program for F-1 students through which you can work off-campus in the United States before you graduate. This work must relate to your studies at MICA and must be eligible for school credit. You are eligible to apply for CPT after you attend a U.S. college full time as an F-1 student for at least two semesters in a row while in good academic standing.