MICA provides students with the resources and support to seek appropriate permission to create works of art in the public realm. As a protocol of obtaining an OCE grant - you must make good faith efforts to gain permission to use property owned by another entity. Documentation of permission can include written or email correspondence or a written agreement. It is your responsibility to gain and document permission to use public or private space.

It is important to keep in mind that all students, whether on campus or off campus, are subject to local, state, and federal laws. Students may be subject to legal action including civil suits from property owners. MICA will take no responsibility or be able to help you in this event, if written permission was not obtained. Unlawful activities are also subject to College disciplinary action, including but not limited to terminating OCE funding.

Please note that when installing public artwork:

  • Always get written permission from the property owner before installation begins. If possible, obtain a hold harmless agreement from the property owner.
  • MICA does not carry insurance on other properties, and is not responsible for the owner's failure to maintain safe conditions.
  • MICA does not carry health or accident insurance for students. So, if a student injures themselves during the install, then their personal insurance policy would come into play.
  • The College considers defacement of public or private property without permission to be vandalism, not artwork.
  • Additional Resources

MICA Institutional Policy on Public Art

MICA Institutional Policy on Vandalism