The Center for Teaching Innovation & Exchange (C/TIE) supports dynamic teaching at MICA. We provide professional development and resources that promote a lively exchange of ideas concerning equitable and engaged pedagogy. Through our activities, we make teaching and learning practices more accessible, collaborative, and responsive to the unique needs of postsecondary art & design education in the 21st century.
The Center for Teaching Innovation & Exchange (C/TIE) is at the forefront of investigating, experimenting, and innovating in the practice of teaching art & design in postsecondary settings, the goal of which is to prepare students to become creative leaders for an increasingly complex, diverse, and changing world.
The Center for Teaching Innovation & Exchange’s (C/TIE) work is guided by the following principles.
- C/TIE’s operational focus is as a peer-based resource and it succeeds through building and engaging the MICA community.
- C/TIE provides resources and expertise in evidence-based, student-centered, and outcomes-guided pedagogy that promote inclusive teaching that engages an ever-changing student population.
- C/TIE promotes experimentation and innovation in curriculum, pedagogy, technology, student support, and assessment to enhance student learning and engagement.
- C/TIE recognizes and values teaching excellence by rewarding faculty and staff for innovative contributions to teaching and learning.
- C/TIE assists faculty and staff in identifying ways to connect their teaching and the Baltimore community and issues of civic empowerment and justice.
- C/TIE builds and nurtures cross-disciplinary communities and mentoring networks for scholarly exchange around learning, teaching, and professional growth.
- C/TIE makes teaching and learning more public by promoting conversation and collaboration within the MICA community and by sharing select teaching initiatives with external audiences through presentations and publications on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL).