Conditions are right for tornadoes to develop: Be prepared to take cover.
A funnel cloud has been sighted in the vicinity. Take cover immediately.
In a Tornado
- Take shelter in the interior of the lowest level of the building. Avoid windows and large, open rooms. If possible, get under a sturdy desk or table.
- Protect your head with your arms.
- If caught outside, lie flat in the nearest ditch or ravine with hands and arms shielding your head.
- Do not stay in an automobile; abandon the vehicle and follow guidelines above.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off or disconnect electrical devices in the area.
- Close doors and seal openings to minimize the spread of water.
- Protect or remove valuable property that is susceptible to water damage.
- Remain in a safe adjacent area to direct response personnel to the site and others away from the site.
- If flooding liquid is contaminated, the area must be secured.
- Remain in a safe, adjacent area to direct response personnel to the site and others away from the site.
- Do not attempt to cross a flowing stream where water is above your ankles. Go another way.
- Do not attempt to cross a flooded road while driving. Go another way.