Located in Fox 110, the Office is home to the Mentoring Network, a personal support program for African American, Latinx, Asian American, International, and LGBTQ students. Center for Identity and Inclusion (CII) Programming Committee plans and coordinates programs that serve the cultural needs of MICA's Community.
Throughout the year there are a variety of opportunities including educational and social activities that are planned and tailored to promote the improvement of academic success and graduation rates of artists of color.
The Center for Identity and Inclusion is committed to the needs of future generations of artists, designers, scholars, and educators. By facilitating, supporting, and promoting cross-cultural awareness, dialogue and interaction, the Center for Identity and Inclusion
- Achieve access and equity for historically underrepresented groups at MICA.
- Encourage diversity initiatives that enhance student recruitment, retention, and engagement of diverse students throughout the college.
- Initiate on-going education and training around creating an inclusive community for students, staff, and faculty.
- Strengthen institutional partnerships that enhance the interests of the MICA and Baltimore communities in the area of diversity and inclusion.
- Leverage skills and knowledge to increase capacities for leading with a cross-cultural lens.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate one’s own identity, culture, and heritage through their art-making practice.
- Connect with individuals of various cultural backgrounds by considering and celebrating similarities and differences in perspectives, experiences, practices, and values.
- Discuss the history and patterns of difference, discrimination, and oppression with regard to different groups, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, class, ability, and culture.
- Apply skills and knowledge to lead with a cross-cultural lens and develop a personal framework for inclusive leadership.
- Use advocacy and change management skills for achieving social equity.