Benefits Quick Answers

When am I allowed to make changes to my benefit plans?

You can make changes only during the open enrollment period, unless there is a "life event" (i.e. Marriage or divorce; birth, adoption, or becoming a legal guardian; loss or gain of employment by your spouse/partner, in lieu of gross misconduct; loss of medical coverage due to your spouse’s/partner’s employer terminating its health plan; death of a spouse/partner or dependent; switching from full to part-time status for employee or spouse/partner; your spouse’s/partner’s health coverage through his or her employer changes significantly; loss of other coverage due to circumstances not listed with detailed explanation required). For any mid-year changes, written documentation must be submitted to the Human Resources Department within 31 days of the life status change.

When is Open Enrollment?

Open enrollment is held in April each year. Notice of exact dates of open enrollment is sent out approximately one month in advance. Open Enrollment allows you the opportunity to change your benefits for the upcoming plan year. MICA’s benefits plan year runs from June 1st through May 31st to correspond with the fiscal year. If you miss the open enrollment period, you will not be able to make changes to your benefits until the next open enrollment, unless you have a life status change.

Who can I contact if I am having difficulties with having my health insurance claims paid?

CareFirst: 1-800-626-0173
United Concordia: 866-357-3304 (DMO) or 800-332-0366 (PPO)
Health Advocate: 866-799-2728

How can I change my contribution amount to my retirement plan?

You can make changes to your retirement plan any time during the year. To do this, please complete a Salary Election Form found in the Human Resources office or on the myMICA Portal.

What is the maximum I can contribute to my retirement plan?

You may contribute $18,000 to your retirement plan for 2017. If you are over the age of 50, you may contribute an additional $6,000 for a total maximum of $24,000.

How can I change my address?

To change your address please login to the MICA website. 

If you participate in the MICA benefits program, your address will automatically be updated with the Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance vendors. If you participate in the Retirement Annuity plan, please contact the vendors with whom you participate to update your address with them directly.

How do I contact MICA’s Employee Assistance Program?

MICA’s Employee Assistance Program through Health Advocate is available to Faculty and Staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 866-799-2728 or Username: Maryland Institute College of Art.

Who do I contact if I am injured on the job?

If you are injured on the job, please contact your Supervisor, Campus Safety at 410-225-2355, and Human Resources at 410-225-2363 as soon as possible.

How can I find out how much money I have remaining in my Flexible Spending Account?

To find out your remaining balance in your Flexible Spending Account, please log onto Benefit Resource at 

If I leave the College, do I get paid for my sick and vacation time?

You will be paid any unused accrued vacation time in your final paycheck. Sick time is not compensable.