Student Counseling Services

How and When to Refer a Student to Counseling

Many times a friend or family member may notice signs of concern in a student.  If you are concerned, you can talk to the student (privately), inquire about what is going on, listen to the student and share available resources, including the Student Counseling Center (SCC). Here are some signs you may see that indicate counseling here at MICA might be helpful:

  • Thinking about suicide
  • Using self-harming behaviors to calm down
  • Drinking too much or taking drugs (illegal/or abusing prescribed drugs)
  • Eating or sleeping differently
  • Feeling helpless or hopeless
  • Having dramatic mood swings
  • So anxious, afraid or depressed that everyday activities & relationships have been affected
  • Performing poorly at work or school
  • Physically, sexually or emotionally abused

Remember, only the student who will be requesting counseling services should take the first-step of scheduling an appointment. Visit Scheduling an Appointment for more information.

Immediate Assistance:

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger of hurting themselves or others, reports feeling severe depression or hearing voices or seeing things that others do not see. Do not wait:

  • Dial 911 and request immediate assistance.
  • If you or someone you know lives on campus, you may call Campus Safety on its 24 hour emergency line at 443-423-3333 for further assistance.