Filing Taxes

As an international student in the U.S., it's important that you understand the tax requirements of your visa. You're legally required to file a tax return, if you worked in the U.S. or received a stipend, grant or allowance.  Even if you didn't work or receive income in the U.S., you're still legally obliged to file Form 8843 with the IRS.

MICA has partnered with Sprintax, a Non-resident Tax Preparation service, to guide you through the process and prepare the necessary tax documents for FREE.  For more information, contact International Education.

Driver’s Licenses

If you plan to drive during your time in the United States, you should obtain a U.S. driver’s license.  Drivers Licenses are issued by individual states—not the federal government. You should obtain a Maryland license while you live and drive in Baltimore.

Bank Accounts

You can visit a branch to open an account once you become settled in Baltimore. Having a local bank account will enable you to make money deposits and withdrawals and perform other banking activities while in Baltimore.  


Use the links here to plan your commute around Baltimore via the city's public transportation.


The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) describes fraud in the following way: International scam artists use clever schemes to defraud millions of people across the globe each year, threatening financial security and generating substantial profits for criminal organizations and common crooks. They use phone, email, postal mail, and the Internet to cross geographic boundaries and trick victims into sending money or giving out personal information.