Am I allowed to work?

  • All F-1 students are eligible to work on campus.

  • You may begin working on campus immediately after arriving at MICA; If you already have a Social Security Number, you do not need to obtain special permission from the Office of International Education

  • Do not work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. 

  • F-1 students are not eligible for work-study positions; only domestic student receiving federal funding may apply for work-study positions.

How do I find a job?

I found a job! What happens next? 

  • Visit MICA Human Resources in Bunting, 3rd floor for an F-1 Student Job Verification Form.  The signed form will serve as proof of your job offer.  

  • Bring the F-1 Student Job Verification Form to International Education for a signature. (You may need to drop it off and return another day to pick it up.) 

  • Take the F-1 Student Job Verification Form and other required documents to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  In order to be paid, you must apply for an SSN.  

  • Return to MICA Human Resources with your receipt from the Social Security Administration Office. 

Can I work during breaks?

  • You may work over 20 hours per week during authorized breaks. Authorized breaks are Winter Break and Summer Break only.
  • Fall Break and Spring Break are NOT authorized breaks and you are only allowed to work 20 hours per work.