First Generation Students

Navigating the MICA Community

Getting Involved on Campus

Do you want to get more involved in politics and community outreach, connect with students who share your identities/beliefs, or maybe find a group to game with…then the Center for Student Engagement is the place for you! Here you can learn more about opportunities like:

  • Joining a student organization 

  • Meeting other students on campus

  • Attending student campus programming

  • Connecting to leadership and involvement opportunities 

  • Bringing community service and arts together

The Center for Student Engagement is home to more than 30 student organizations, the Student Voice Association (MICA's student government), and a variety of programs and activities to keep students involved on campus.

Meyerhoff House – 1st Floor
Phone: (410) 225-2284

Academic Advising

Unsure what classes to take, feeling overloaded, or want to learn about another degree program or concentration? Academic Advisors are your go-to source for all degree related resources and course information.

All first year students have the same academic advisor as part of the Foundation Year curriculum, and are then assigned to a permanent, upper class academic advisor during the Spring semester of your first year. 

Bunting Building – 2nd Floor

Phone: (410) 225-2315

Residence Life

If you live on campus, consider reaching out to the Office of Residence Life, if you have questions or concerns about your housing situation, or if you’re not sure what other resources are available on campus. A great resource for on-campus students are the Residential Advisors, also known as RA’s. RA's are students living in each of the Residence Halls who are trained and able to help with a variety of concerns and questions from finding your way around the MICA campus to assisting with roommate conflicts. 

For more information about the Office of Residence Life, living on campus and how they can help to enhance your experience at MICA, you can visit their website. For answers to frequently asked questions from students and parents you can also visit the Frequently Asked Questions page. 

Students who are planning on living off-campus either now, or in the future, can access resources and information through the Office of Residence Life as well. This page can assist you with not only the hunt for an apartment, but also answer questions about renters insurance, and handling a lease.

Founders Green
Phone: 410-225-2398

Money Matters

Paying for college can be complicated and confusing, so it is important to know that there are resources here at MICA to help you navigate the process and make sure you feel comfortable and confident with the financial decisions that you are making. Here are MICA, there are two primary offices that handle money related questions and concerns from students and parents. 

Student Accounts will be able to assist you with any questions regarding the topics below. Their knowledgeable staff will be able to present you with all your options and help you to decide the plan that is going to work best for your circumstances.

  • Tuition, fees, room, board,

  • Financial options and policies, and your account

  • Information regarding meal plans, flex points and dining dollars

Student Accounts
Bunting Building - 240
Phone: 410-225-2356

In the Office of Financial Aid the staff counsels students and families about financial planning and assistance, makes available applications for many aid sources, and administers a variety of aid programs. Each MICA student is assigned a specific financial aid counselor who understands their specific financial circumstances and aid. They are available to answer questions and concerns about any of the following:

  • Applying for financial aid

  • Types of available financial aid
  • Financial aid deadlines

  • Filing the FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

For a list of scholarships available to First Gen Students you can check out this website! Or you can schedule an appointment to meet with your financial aid counselor for more information. 

Office of Financial Aid
Bunting Building – 3rd Floor
Phone: 410-225-2285

Student Employment

As a student at MICA there are multiple opportunities for employment on-campus in areas such as dining services, as a Residential Advisor (RA), or working in a specific department on campus such as the library. Positions listed as “Student Employee” on the HR website are open to any student who meets the qualifications of the position. 

MICA also hires students into work-study positions all over campus. Work-study jobs provide part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. If you are eligible for a work-study job, it is indicated in your federal financial aid package.

For more information, visit the Department of Human Resources page for more information on available positions and instructions on how to apply.

Angel Fund

The Division of Student Affairs hosts resources to assist and support enrolled, full-time graduate or undergraduate students who experience a short term financial hardship. The purpose of the "angel" fund is not to resolve a fundamental inability to afford a MICA education; instead the intent is to bridge unexpected issues that temporarily derail a student's success.

The amount of financial support available is limited to no more than $500 for any one request. Students may only receive one grant per semester, and a maximum of twice during their MICA career. Those interested must complete the application form which will be reviewed in a rolling, private manner upon receipt.

Each request will be considered by a small, confidential group within the Division of Student Affairs. Depending upon the nature of the request, it is possible that a meeting with a member of the Student Affairs staff will be required before a decision is made on the application.

Examples of items eligible for assistance due to short term financial hardship include but are not limited to:

  • Art Supplies

  • Food

  • Emergency Travel

  • Prescription Drug Co-Pays

Due to the likely high amount needed and the long term implication of the financial problem, rent/housing (on or off-campus) is not eligible to be supported by these resources. However, if you are struggling and concerned about housing security, please contact the Office of Residence Life, who will help you to explore possible alternatives and options. 

Any questions about this program may be directed to the Associate Dean for Student Health & Wellness in the Office of Student Affairs (Bunting 260) by calling 410-225-2422. Funds will typically be distributed in the form of a check or direct payment/purchase of the items in question. Please allow a minimum of five business days for review of each request.

Technology Support

Can’t access your MICA email or your laptop refuses to connect to the Wifi?  Technology Support Services (TSS) (x829) plays a critical role in the success of education here at MICA. They support the infrastructure behind MICA's campus networks, classroom and lab technology, MICA's email accounts, Moodle's online classrooms, MICA webspace, and MICA software among many other systems and resources. They can help you if you are:

  • Having trouble with your MICA account or network service

  • Need help with Creative Cloud and Office 365 software licensing

Art Tech Center - 2nd Floor
Phone: 410-225-2201


Lockers are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to students wishing to leave supplies or artwork on campus. Lockers are available on third floor of the Main building and the second floor of Fox. Please register for a locker here!